Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Book Of Amos


Amos

Summary: Imagine being a shepherd and a gardener enjoying life and then told to change profession to something far more dangerous. That is Amos' story was not born out of a line of prophets by any means but God called him to prophecy over Israel and her sins. Amos' message is filled with passion, judgement, and main point of seeking justice and righteousness over obligatory religious ceremony. Threatened with death and told to leave Amos stays firm in his obedience his life being as strong a message as his words given from God.

Things I Noticed:

1. Amos was a shepherd. Say What?!  
2. There is such a thing as a covenant of Brotherhood.
3. Amos 2:7 I will let your read that one.
4. They made Nazarite drink wine and prophets we told to "shut their pie holes" 
5. Does disaster come to a city unless the Lord has done it? 
6. Houses of Ivory and Great Houses (Story inspiration... I think so.)
7. God makes mountains, the wind, declares our thoughts, makes mornings darkness, treads the heights on the Earth and The Lord, God of the Hosts is his name. (Better recognize.)
8. Seek God and live.
9. Seek good and not evil, that you may live. Hate evil and love good and establish justice at the gates. 
10. Is the day of the Lord darkness and not light. (Judgment is not pretty Amos 5:18-24)
11. Justice like rivers and Righteousness like overflowing streams.
12. Lo-debar
13. The Lord took me from the flock, and the Lord said to me 'Go, prophesy to my people Israel.'
14. In the depths of the sea they are un known mysteries like serpents. (Amos 9:3)
15. In that day I will raise the booth of David and they will posses all the nations who are called by me name. (I shortened this to what caught my attention Amos 9:11-12)
16.  I will plant them on their land and they shall never again be uprooted out of the land I have given them. (Listen world and Iran)

Well,  I finished reading the shepherd prophet. I am still continuing my journey through Matthew the tax collector who Jesus called friend while roping next through Obadiah. Till then, Read up, Post up, and Shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment