Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Colossians


Colossians 

Summary: Colossae was quaint situated by a small river on the to Ephesus and south of Laodicea. The church here was not started by Paul but received letters from him none-the-less. It was in this town that some Pagan influence had found there way into the Christian practice specifically that of elemental spirits and angels. This letter goes on to encourage and defend Christ's divinity and ultimate authority. Take a look at what I found:

Things I Noticed:

1. Asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding.
2. Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in Christ's afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church, of which I became a minister according to the stewardship from God that was given to me for you, to make the word of God fully known, the mystery hidden for ages and generations but, now revealed to his saints.
3. Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
4. See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ. (This is where I would put evolution as well as Gnosticism.)
5. Having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him.
6. Let no one disqualify you, insisting on asceticism and worship of angels, going on in detail about visions, puffed up without reason by his sensuous mind. (All these things Paul says don't let it disqualify you with I have seen in Catholicism. So do them, some do not. Just an observation.)
7. You died to the elemental spirits of this world.
8. Set you minds on things that are above,  not on things that are on earth.
9. Put to then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassions, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience... And above all these put on love.
10. As the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. (The Lord's prayer referenced here.)
11. Wives, submit to your husband, as it is fitting in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives, and do not be harsh with them.
12. Children obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord. Fathers, do not provoke your children, least they become discouraged. (This is the second time Paul warns of provocation and children. I feel both warnings are ignored when a father abandons his children.)
13. Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.
14. Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person. (This seems not to be practiced these days.)


As I sit next to the River here in Colosea I am reminded of Tulsa. I spent many days and afternoons staring at the river in Oklahoma. Here I was a bit more productive reading Numbers instead. My study of it is coming quickly to a close. The next part of my Journey takes me to Thessaloniki I will give you more of the Good News when I get there. Journey on my friends. Till we meet again
, Read up, Post up, and Shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment