Saturday, June 22, 2013

Philippians

Philippians 

Summary: Philippi is an interesting city small colonial mining town unlike the previous cities I visited here the church started as a meek and small house of prayer. Wealthy from the mines it still held small being called little Rome due to the strict enforcement of the laws. The people tell stories of Paul's visit and the demon girl who was freed. They also talk about him being beaten and jailed, the earthquake followed, Paul staying and converting the jailer is also still of note to the people. I read Paul's letter to them and here is what I gleaned:

Things I Noticed:

1. And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.
2. For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. (This verse was important enough for me to tattoo it on my back in the original greek.)
3. Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel.
4. Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.
5. Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. Do all things without grumbling or disputing.
6. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ.
7. That I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead.
8. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead.
9. I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
10. Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us.
11. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
12. Do whatever Honorable, Just, Pure, Lovely, Commendable,  Excellence,  and Worthy Of Praise.
13.  I can do all things through him who strengthens me.


Still reading the book of Numbers I can say the book has gotten interesting with Balaam and Korah. It is rather arid and hot here in Philippi. Still I love praying and here it can be said is the home of the House of Prayer movement.  I am headed to Colossians next wish me luck on the road and protection from Brigands. As I journey I will continue to commit to my studies. Till then, Read up, Post up, and Shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment